There are several different types of retirement accounts available in the United States, each with its own unique features and tax benefits.
There are several different types of retirement accounts available in the United States, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here are some of the key differences between the most common types of retirement accounts:
- 401(k) Plan: This is a type of employer-sponsored retirement plan where employees can contribute a portion of their salary on a pre-tax basis. Employers may also offer matching contributions. The contribution limit for 401(k) plans is $20,500 in 2022.
- Traditional IRA: This is a type of individual retirement account where individuals can make pre-tax contributions and potentially reduce their taxable income. Earnings in the account grow tax-deferred until withdrawn. The contribution limit for IRAs is $6,000 in 2022.
- Roth IRA: This is another type of individual retirement account where individuals make after-tax contributions, and qualified withdrawals are tax-free. Earnings in the account also grow tax-free. The contribution limit for Roth IRAs is $6,000 in 2022.
- SEP IRA: This is a type of retirement account for self-employed individuals or small business owners. Contributions are made on a pre-tax basis, and the contribution limit is 25% of compensation or $61,000 in 2022, whichever is less.
- SIMPLE IRA: This is another type of retirement plan for small businesses. Employees can contribute a portion of their salary on a pre-tax basis, and employers are required to make either a matching contribution or a fixed contribution. The contribution limit for SIMPLE IRAs is $14,000 in 2022.
- Solo 401(k) Plan: This is a type of retirement plan for self-employed individuals or small business owners with no employees other than a spouse. It operates like a regular 401(k) plan, but with higher contribution limits. The contribution limit for Solo 401(k) plans is $61,000 in 2022.
Overall, the main differences between these retirement accounts are the contribution limits, tax treatment, and eligibility requirements.
It’s important to carefully consider the features of each type of retirement account and consult with a financial advisor to determine which one is best for your specific needs and circumstances,” shared Daniel Ahart, chief tax officer at the tax preparation company Daniel Ahart Tax Service®.
When is the deadline for 2022 contributions?
The deadline for most retirement contributions for the tax year 2022 is April 18, 2023. Click here to learn more.
Remember that every person and every tax return is different, this is just a guide, please find the closest DATS location near you and do not hesitate to contact us. Daniel Ahart Tax Service will be open and ready to answer the phone or in person to clarify any doubts and to be able to guide you in the process,” explains Daniel Ahart, chief tax officer at the tax preparation company Daniel Ahart Tax Service®
Taking Care of your Crypto Taxes
Also, remember that if you have any crypto tax obligations for the 2022 tax year, you need to report it. Join the thousands of individuals in the State of Georgia that trust their taxes to Daniel Ahart each year!
Schedule An Appointment
Appointments are encouraged so that we are able to limit the number of people in our office. We ask that you come by yourself or with your spouse. Don’t bring extra people such as children.
Use our tool to find the office nearest you or click on a city link below. You will find office information and a link to schedule and manage your appointment on the office page.