Section 6071(c) requires you to file Form 1099-NEC on or before February 1, 2021, using either paper or electronic filing procedures. File Form 1099-MISC by March 1, 2021, if you file on paper, or March 31, 2021, if you file electronically.
- At least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest.
- At least $600 in:
- Prizes and awards.
- Other income payments.
- Medical and health care payments.
- Crop insurance proceeds.
- Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish.
- Generally, the cash paid from a notional principal contract to an individual, partnership, or estate.
- Payments to an attorney.
- Any fishing boat proceeds.
You must also file Form 1099-MISC for each person from whom you have withheld any federal income tax (report in box 4) under the backup withholding rules regardless of the amount of the payment.
Some payments do not have to be reported on Form 1099-MISC, although they may be taxable to the recipient. Payments for which a Form 1099-MISC is not required include all of the following.
- Generally, payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company (LLC) that is treated as a C or S corporation). However, see Reportable payments to corporations, later.
- Payments for merchandise, telegrams, telephone, freight, storage, and similar items.
- Payments of rent to real estate agents or property managers. However, the real estate agent or property manager must use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner. See Regulations sections 1.6041-3(d), 1.6041-1(e)(5), Example 5, and the instructions for box 1.
- Wages paid to employees (report on Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement).
- Military differential wage payments made to employees while they are on active duty in the Armed Forces or other uniformed services (report on Form W-2).
- Business travel allowances paid to employees (may be reportable on Form W-2).
- Cost of current life insurance protection (report on Form W-2 or Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.).
- Payments to a tax-exempt organization including tax-exempt trusts (IRAs, HSAs, Archer MSAs, Coverdell ESAs, and ABLE (529A) accounts), the United States, a state, the District of Columbia, a U.S. possession, or a foreign government.
- Payments made to or for homeowners from the HFA Hardest Hit Fund or similar state program (report on Form 1098-MA).
- Compensation for injuries or sickness by the Department of Justice as a public safety officer disability or survivor’s benefit, or under a state program that provides benefits for surviving dependents of a public safety officer who has died as the direct and proximate result of a personal injury sustained in the line of duty.
- Compensation for wrongful incarceration for any criminal offense for which there was a conviction under federal or state law. See section 139F, Certain amounts received by wrongfully incarcerated individuals.
Keep in mind that there are IRS Penalties, up to $260 per form, for informational returns filed with missing or incorrect TINs. IRS publication 1586 has additional detailed information on those penalties,” says Daniel Ahart, chief tax officer at the tax preparation company Daniel Ahart Tax Service®
What About Self-Employment Taxes?
When you are self-employed (whether you run your business full time or if you have a part-time side gig) and your net income is $400 or more, you are responsible for filing a tax return and paying the entire 15.3% of Social Security and Medicare taxes when you file which are known as self-employment taxes.
Daniel Ahart Tax Service® prepares all tax returns, helps solve tax problems, and prepares back taxes. 22 Area Locations in Georgia.
Schedule An Appointment
Appointments are encouraged so that we are able to limit the number of people in our office. We ask that you come by yourself or with your spouse. Don’t bring extra people such as children.
Use our tool to find the office nearest you or click on a city link below. You will find office information and a link to schedule and manage your appointment on the office page.
Search For An Office
Select office for contact information or to schedule an appointment.